1/18/11

Why Aren’t Sexist Jokes Funny?

 

Most people who know me assume that I’m not very feminine. I wear a lot of cargo pants, t-shirts, and sneakers. Often, I go without makeup. I like tinkering and building computers, and I’ve been told that I have some masculine mannerisms (whatever that means). Because I’m perceived this way, it’s also assumed that I would scorn all things womanly. I’m expected to go along with misogynist jokes and hey, if I get offended, well, I probably just have PMS or something.

When a man says something like, “Woman, make me a sandwich,” to me as a joke, he’s basically saying, “Hey, you know how for thousands of years, women have been property and men have treated them like slaves? Yeah, that was HILARIOUS!!”

It also ignores the reality that women are still slaves today in many parts of the world. Even in the United States of America, in the year 2011, women are still second class citizens in many ways. For example, we’ve only been allowed to have credit in our own names for slightly longer than my own lifetime. Today, activists are pushing for laws that would deny women their right to decide when (or whether) to procreate. We’re not out of the woods yet.

So you know what? No. I’m not sorry that I don’t find misogynist jokes to be funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment